Dynamic Slotting Module
Optimize warehouse efficiency with an integrated Slotting Solution.
Dynamic slotting can dramatically improve the efficiency of warehouse operations by responding to cyclic demand and product seasonality.
Survival of the fittest
Given the competitive environment of warehousing and distribution, and facing very high expectations from customers for service level, indeed for warehouse businesses it’s the survival of the fittest. Slotting is the process of setting up the most efficient layout for products in a warehouse, and determining the most efficient quantities to satisfy current and future demand. The goal is to minimize cost and specifically, to optimize:
- pick efficiency
- shipping performance
- space utilization
Dynamic slotting is a process which uses regular and daily operations to effectively reconfigure the warehouse product layout. The re-slotting tasks become part of normal picking, put-away and replenishment tasks. It creates a framework for which the end-user can be self-taught and be able to operate without the need for heavy consultation.
Most companies that do slotting do so on an annual basis and need to involve consultants to drive the process. Dynamic slotting achieves much bigger benefits by providing accurate product placement on a regular basis, based on a forecasted order profile.
- 3D geometrical model of the warehouse
- complete bin locations and capacity
- flexible configurable layout
- zone/aisles view with key metrics display
- product volumetric data
Dynamic Order Profiling
- considers known future orders and historical data
- variable time-windows for dynamic slotting
- variety of product ranking metrics
An integrated simulation engine is used to reproduce warehouse operations, complete with projected operation costs. Various warehouse/slotting configurations can be generated in minutes. The benefits of re-slotting can be compared to the results without re-slotting. The efficiency of different slotting metrics can also be compared using the simulation dashboard: no need to use an arbitrary and fixed choice, the best solution will be clear.
With a problematic warehouse, would a vast re-slotting plan be profitable, while stopping production? Or, can a progressive and dynamic slotting fare better? Simulations will help in making a decision based on actual cost estimates.
The integration of warehouse simulation technology with SOLOCHAIN™ WMS provides a safe and powerful decision tool.
- Pre-slotting, manages storage types and capacities
- Re-slotting planner, creates a prioritized re-slotting task list
- Real-time task assignment to material handlers
- Slotting tasks on-the-fly
- Choice of slotting metrics (velocity, popularity, viscosity, CPOI, random)
- Operation cost estimates for different slotting strategies
- Directed put-away based on slotting plan
Advanced Configuration Features:
- ergonomic options (golden zone)
- family grouping
- special storage
- multiple site enabled
- congestion factor
- zone balancing
- fragmentation and empty space allocation
- reserved space (emergency parts, cyclic promotions, etc
- sequencing (lot, date, sortable products, production synchronized)
- commodity factor
- exception flags
- pick paths: optimized, pre-defined, sequenced
WMS EMBEDDED ADVANTAGES
- visibility of warehouse operations
- tasks assignment dashboards on hand-held devices
- user configurable, adaptable
- analysis dashboards: track improvement of Key Performance Indicators
SOLOCHAIN™ WMS is particularly effective in assigning tasks live on the floor via hand-held devices, where task lists are seen on a dedicated screen (replenishment, picking, put-away). The re-slotting tasks are ranked in priority, but also can be overridden by users.
Slotting is relevant for any mid to large size warehouse, but also for carousels and other smaller automated storage systems. With an optimized slotting solution, a warehouse can improve any combination of the following operational requirements:
- picking efficiency, minimize picking time, improving safety and productivity
- order accuracy, shorter completion time
- service level, meet mandatory shipping performance requirements
- product layout (pick faces), optimize equipment and space utilization
In a fully dynamic mode, the following advantages can be observed:
- replenishments synchronized to order demand
- new SKUs are slotted as they arrive
- forecasted receipts have reserved space as they arrive
- re-slotting tasks are updated to new conditions in real-time
- work load is steady, integrated, transparent to operators
- increased productivity
- double or triple pick rates
- lower inventory carrying costs
- improved customer service
Usually the efficiency of an initial optimal layout degrades rapidly with static slotting. Dynamic slotting has the potential to dramatically improve the efficiency of warehouse operations by responding to cyclic demand and product seasonality. But furthermore, it can also help providing top customer service level by meeting mandatory shipping requirements from the most-valuable customers.
How soon should you adopt this slotting technology?
If your company expects to grow… the sooner the better. Go Dynamic!